On Feb. 29, the Apple corporation’s market cap rose to more than $500 billion, placing it in an elite club of only five other American corporations to ever reach such heights. Does that mean that somewhere in California, people are cranking out high tech gadgets while sitting on a pile of half a trillion George Washingtons? Not quite. A market capitalization is found by multiplying the number of a company’s shares by the price of a single share at that time.
Trying to comprehend exactly how much $500 billion is in day to day terms is almost as hard as imagining life without an iPod (or iAnything for that matter). So let’s break it down into more relatable terms to get an idea of just how much Apple is valued at.
- Send every US resident on a three night Southern Caribbean cruise in one of Royal Caribbean’s deluxe suites. Or a check for $1,602.60.
- Feed each and every one of the 7 billion people on Earth exactly 14 Hot and Ready pizzas from Little Caesars.
- Buy Justin Bieber
- Convert roughly 33,333,333 average sized houses to solar energy powered homes (which averages at roughly $15,000 per household).
- Buy Donald Trump countless new hair pieces.
- Buy the Great Pyramids of Giza.
- Send 250,000 Lance Bass wannabes to space (at $20 million per trip).
- Send 4,385,964 students to a four year, private university. That’s about half of New York City’s population.
- Buy an alien.
- Build a city made out of gold under the sea.
- Become the roller coaster tycoon.
- Sponsor 1,369,863,014 starving children through World Vision for a year ($1 a day).
SOURCES http://www.usatoday.com/money/industries/technology/story/2012-02-29/apple-market-cap-tops-500-billion-dollars/53305986/1 http://www.census.gov/compendia/statab/cats/population.html http://www.royalcaribbean.com/dealsandmore/hotdeals.do?cS=NAVBAR&pnav=3&snav=1#%2Fdealsandmore%2Fhotdeals.do%3FactionType%3D%26location%3D%26portOfCall%3D%26eventSource%3Ddest%26pageType%3DSR%26dest%3DCARIB%26userPreferences%3DY%26actionType%3D%26location%3D%26portOfCall%3D%26eventSource%3Ddest%26cruiseType%3DCO%26pageType%3DSR%26sortBy%3D14%26promoType%3D1%26promoCode%3D%26hasHappyHour%3D